Monday, July 7, 2008

Shake Sphere

“Caricature” Bava asked me tucking his shirt while continuing the brisk walk towards the class from canteen. Without moving my concentration from the bread sandwich in my hand, I took another big bite and said “Distorted sketch”. then it was my turn I asked him “Flamboyant”? He replied “Gaudy”, Show off kind of thing. “Bava you rock” I shook him and said as I entered the class. He was one of the nigger that every one liked. Very shy in nature, yet intelligent and eloquent when it comes to subject, a 180 degree opposite to me.

This verbatim exercise was not for some GRE or Gmat exam, but to become editors of our prestigious in-house magazine for which our Marketing prof KB was the chief editor. Since we sit together we use to exchange lot of new words and play grammar correction games to make sure we get into this editor’s post. Few days back when our class representative (Who is again my one of the nigger friend) announced like a Wal Mart store manager to catch the seats which we like to sit and it will remain our seating place for the rest of the year, every one and rushed to pick their best seating places. By the time I realized all the corner seats were booked since dozing off in those seats has less probability of getting caught. By the time I realized our friends group had only one row left, the last one which is positioned to match the exact height of the stage. It was unfortunate to be situated at the top and worse than that was that I had to occupy the middle seat that does not provide any shelter from the weird looking profs. I said to Bava giving a forcible but positive smile “this place will make sure that I will stay awake”. For the rest of the two years I spent half of my classes there by dozing off, and in remaining classes I was thrown out for dozing off.

The D-day arrived where both of us gave our best shot for the exam and were eagerly waiting for the results. Two days after the exam, when I sat in class with Bava witnessing our prof killing my favorite subject Operations Management, the news came that the Dimensions results are available on the notice board. We all rushed to the notice board immediately after the class. We found a list that contained around 60 names, so we did not bother to see what it was since you can not have that many number of editors, So we switched to the adjacent board, there was a notice that titled “Dimensions”. Bava and I eagerly looked into the 4-member list to check if we two were the lucky ones. Well after scanning through the list I exclaimed, “It’s ok Bava, Dimensions is not that lucky, lets make it to debonair or playboy” giving a sad grin. My friend Bava cannot take these kinds of failures easily; he showed clear disappointment on his face. While we were trying to come out of the grief, we heard a chorus of “shit” sounds, which was the resultant reaction of the list that bared the names of students who are asked to attend English classes. We didn’t bother to see it, why does a a candidate running for editor’s seat would think of being listed for English classes. We were heading to canteen but were stopped by Senthil with a wide grin over his face. He patted our back saying “Welcome to the under privilege club of niggers who don’t know English” I said “why are you saying us”. He replied only to knock our foot “Coz you two guys are in the list”. “Shit Happens” now another two painful F words vanished in the crowd’s talk.

“I believe that I can fly, I can touch the sky” come on guys sing it out, It was our guest faculty who was uttering enthusiastically in an effort to break the ice with the rhymes. It’s a pathetic idea that didn’t work of course. He was the only one who was showing the spirit. The cell phone beeped, it was a message from Sandy “how is the English stuff happening?” I showed the message to Bava and said “Forget not getting into dimensions, but how on earth we landed up here” in a totally disappointed voice. Bava was in a state of shock, he took the mobile from me and replied “We just started with twinkle, twinkle little star, still long way to go”.

The faculty wanted us to speak Queen’s English. His name was Veer Das, after finishing up Rhymes, he was telling about the pronunciations, he said enthusiastically “Its not water its watah”, I said from the back bench “its not veerdas, its weird ass”.
Well later he was replaced with a really good faculty this time, and every one was happy about it, coz she looked good.
Shake SphereSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Super stuff macha. .thoroughly enjoyed reading it especially the weird ass stuff ;-)...